June 20, 2013

Summer Tragedy

Woe is us. Tragedy has befallen the land just in time for summer. Don't worry, the kids are fine especially now that school is over. I wasn't abducted by aliens or strange people in public restrooms. Beth didn't break her other foot (she's still in the boot but definitely improving). No odd BBQ disasters or lawn-mowing casualties. My job is fine and I was not attacked by hordes of angry midgets. And - most seriously - we didn't run out of beer.

We ran out of Game Of Thrones.

Beth and I were admittedly late to the party. We watched the first episode a month and a half ago and cruised through the rest of the series quickly. Our cable company decided to give us free HBO a couple weeks back which only fueled our addiction. And now, like the rest of the world, we're caught up. I didn't think I'd get into the show. In fact, I might have laughed at Beth or said something condescending when she first recommended that we watch it. This week I believe that I used the word dothraki in a conversation in which I was really trying to be taken seriously. Things change. Roll with them.

Now it's summer and I feel, metaphorically, like I'm north of The Wall with winter closing in and no tournaments to keep me entertained.

What are you watching these days?

Posted by Chris at June 20, 2013 7:00 AM
Comments

I feel your pain!

I started rewatching Lost from the beginning. Wow, what a great show! And, knowing how it ends and how the characters develop really gives great insight into the first season (which I am almost done with).

I keep threatening to start watching Arrested Development and I may be one of the only 5 people who never watched an epi of the Sopranos...with James Gandolfini's death, I may need to get myself the series and watch it.

Posted by: cyndy at June 20, 2013 9:01 AM

Oh...I highly recommend Orphan Black on BBC America...first season just ended...very entertaining show. The lead actress is amazing!

Posted by: cyndy at June 20, 2013 9:03 AM

My summer staples Dexter and True Blood are starting back up. Graceland is a great new series that just started. Still watching Hell's Kitchen- which has gotten very personal for us. One of the contestans from this season lives nearby. He has been bringing in some of the other contestants to a local restaurant for chef tasting nights! It's been an amazing addition to our area to have these talented chefs! So far we had dinner prepared by Chef ray, Chef Michael and Chef Barret. Monday night we are going to Jon's Tasting menu and Chef Anthony has just accepted a position at a local country club! And if you've never watched Hell's Kitchen you have no idea what I'm talking about. I live in an area devoid of good food so this has been quite awesome for us.

There is a new Netflix series starting that I plan on watching- Orange is the New Black and Season 3 of The Killing started back. I have the DVR set to record a whole bunch of new shows so we'll see how those pan out.

Posted by: Lisa at June 20, 2013 9:09 AM

Design Star, naturally!

Posted by: Heather at June 20, 2013 10:01 AM

This is going to sound bizarre, but... the Tonight Show. I just really love Jimmy Fallon. Who knew?

Posted by: alektra at June 20, 2013 11:15 AM

The Sopranos, actually, it's really not bad at all. More interesting than I thought it would be.

Posted by: Heather at June 20, 2013 11:28 AM

We've been watching Arrested Development, halfway through season 2. So funny!

Posted by: Fabs at June 20, 2013 1:12 PM

American Horror Story
Suits
White Collar
Homeland
The Killing
Downton Abbey
Arrested Development (not loving it yet, but I'm only on episode 3 of the new season)

And I'm going to download Orphan Black, because I keep seeing recommendations for it (see above).

Posted by: Procrastamom at June 20, 2013 2:16 PM

Like you... Very sad about game of thrones. But we had ordered HBO just to watch it live this season, since we were caught up with season 1 and season 2. I'm working through the 4th book to help fuel my addiction. (I read the books before the show.)

Right now, we're watching So You Think You Can Dance and America's Got Talent. That's about it. We're huge Burn Notice fans, but we're 2 seasons behind, so needless to say... we're not watching that right now. lol

Posted by: Kim at June 21, 2013 7:04 AM

You could always read the books now and get ahead of Season 4 up to where George has left the rest of us hanging until the next book comes out. My poor husband starting reading the series when it started years ago. He's way too used to the waitng George puts his fan through.

BTW, after I saw the first GoT episode in Season 1 I knew you'd love it. I mean its got Midgets and prostitutes. What's not to like?

Posted by: Jody at June 21, 2013 11:14 AM

You too must be with Verizon Fios. The free HBO is what got my wife and I watching Game of Thrones after having read the first 4 books. Our HBO went away about a week after the last episode which we were grateful for, and now we are eagerly anticipating the next season and hopefully more free HBO.

Posted by: Rex at June 23, 2013 5:36 PM