June 21, 2013

The Weeklies #258

The Weekly Loss. James Gandolfini.

The Weekly Awesomeness. My son's favorite band? The Beatles. My son's second favorite band? Iron Maiden. Clearly we're doing something right.

The Weekly Owen's Favorite Band. The Beatles.

The Weekly Owen's Second Favorite Band. Iron Maiden.

The Weekly Conclusion. We're doing something right as parents.

The Weekly Racist And Butter Fanatic. Paula Deen.

The Weekly Read.
With e-publishing serialized novels are returning to popularity. It's a cool idea when successfully done. Back in October, I started reading J.F. Perkins' Renewal series. Now that I finished the tenth and final volume, I feel like I can review it honestly. I was largely attracted to it because it sounded like some good, post-apocalyptic dystopian fiction but a few pages in I realized that's not what this was. Sure, bombs went off, the power grid was destroyed and civilization took several steps back. But this story wasn't dark and hopeless. It was, instead, hopeful and full of characters doing their very best to rebuild and make things good again. While Perkins' writing could use some polish, his characters are wonderful and I became genuinely interested in the story. Each volume clocks in at about 100 pages so you get a nice, bite-sized portion of good story telling that forms a great, compelling story.

The Weekly Catastrophe. My external hard drive with my entire music library crashed. Rebuilding it's a bitch.

The Weekly Question. Do you have a book you can - and have - read over and over again? What is it?

Posted by Chris at June 21, 2013 7:32 AM
Comments

Anything by Tom Robbins-I think I have read most of his books at least a couple of times. Not sure which is my favorite, but partial to Skinny Legs and All since that was my first introduction to his wit and wisdom.

And On the Road too.

Posted by: amyd at June 21, 2013 8:34 AM

I go back to The Hobbit and the Loed of The Rings trilogy every few years.

Posted by: COD at June 21, 2013 9:06 AM

I've been so busy reading new books (I still have about 15 or so that I need to work my way through and there's about 5 or 6 new ones I want to get!) I haven't re-read any books in a really long time!

Oh, wait...yes, I re-read The Passage (Justin Cronin) just before the new book in the series came out (new book was The Twelve). That may be a book I re-read several times...it was that good!

Posted by: cyndy at June 21, 2013 9:34 AM

One of my absolute favorites is 'Widow for One Year' by John Irving. I read it at least once a year.

Posted by: Kate M at June 21, 2013 10:16 AM

The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I have read it every year since it was released. And I keep having to buy it again because I loan it out to people!

Posted by: ashley at June 21, 2013 11:38 AM

Favorite band of niece #1: Beatles. Niece #2: Van Halen. Nephew #1: Pink Floyd. Niece #3 Clay Aiken and Daughtry. Three out of four ain't bad!

Posted by: pinetree22 at June 21, 2013 12:24 PM

I tried getting my son into the Beatles but it was a no-go. I re-read A Christmas Carol every year, and every couple of years I re-read Jane Eyre. Although, I have a tendency to re-read books a lot.

Posted by: Holly at June 21, 2013 2:55 PM

I'd say that the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings is the only book/series that I've read more than a dozen times.

Posted by: J at June 21, 2013 4:55 PM

Got my friend's kid to turn into a metal head. He's 8. We rock out.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Because that's what the majority of lawyers see as the ideal.

Posted by: alektra at June 22, 2013 12:41 AM

Anything by Lee Child and Vince Flynn who just passed away after a fight with prostate cancer. I can't believe that I am not going to be able to get my fill of Vince's Mitch Rapp series anymore. I guess I will just have to keep reading the ones that I have over and over.

Posted by: Rex at June 23, 2013 5:38 PM

I would re-read the entire Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Not much on her Lord John books, but the Outlander books rock!

Posted by: bacioni at June 24, 2013 11:12 AM

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon

Posted by: RzDrms at June 25, 2013 12:52 PM

Replay by Ken Grimwood. Out in the 80's. About middle age - dying and reliving your life a few times over. I've probably read it 6 times and have handed it out to more people than I can count. Finally had to buy a new copy because the first fell apart. The weird thing is - it was on a bookshelf in our house but it wasn't mine and it wasn't my husband's.....

Reading Wiki I knew it had the possibility of being a Julia Roberts/Brad Pitt movie. Now I see it might be Ben Affleck.

Posted by: NancyB at June 26, 2013 7:34 AM