June 6, 2013

Two Little Thumbs Up?

Mia is attending her first sleepover this weekend. This is monumental. Not for Mia, who's totally chill about it, but for Owen who will be alone in the house with Beth and I for a night. He's pumped. He has it all planned out. Apparently we're going to Red Lobster and then watching a grown up movie.

This is a thing with Owen. He desperately wants to be old enough to watch a grown up movie with mom and dad. And while we've watched the Star Wars series on and endless loop for the last two years, I don't think that's going to cut it anymore. I'm not talking Texas Chainsaw Massacre XXIX: The Whackening or Human Centipede. Owen's lobbying for Lord Of The Rings. I've got my sights set on The Three Amigos. I suspect we'll land somewhere in between. Of course this is the kid who still talks about Christmas where I let him watch the last 10 minutes of The Bishop's Wife starring Cary Grant.

So, if you had to land on a supposedly grown up movie you'd share with your kid, what would it be?

Posted by Chris at June 6, 2013 7:24 AM
Comments

I've recently begun going through my old favorites with my daughter. She loved the Back to the Future trilogy. She thought Ferris Bueller's Day Off was funny, but not nearly as much as I did. I can't wait until she's old enough for Stand By Me.

Posted by: Jenny at June 6, 2013 8:28 AM

I was coming in to recommend Back to the Future. Raiders of the Lost Ark would be another good choice. Also, since Owen is such a Star Wars fan seeing Han Solo out of context could be all sorts of mind bending fun.

Posted by: COD at June 6, 2013 8:52 AM

Not sure if these are considered grown up but they are maybe a bit more adult than Cars or Toy Story. What about Labyrinth, Ladyhawke, or The Princess Bride? I second the Raiders suggestion if Owen handled Star Wars A-Ok. My Lil Dude I think is close in age to Owen but no where close to being ready for Raiders. I HOPE to introduce him to Star Wars this summer.

Posted by: Mutt at June 6, 2013 9:36 AM

Back to the Future is a great suggestion. What about the original Parent Trap or Pollyanna? Just don't tell him they're Disney movies, and kind of skip over the intros. What about the "Little House on the Prairie" series? I own them all and STILL watch them. The TV version (language edited out) of "Goonies" is great. What about the original Griswolds? Please let us know what y'all land on. :-)

Posted by: RzDrms at June 6, 2013 9:56 AM

George of the Jungle, w/ Brendan Fraser.

Posted by: J at June 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Back to the Future! I agree!
Though be warned, my husband started those movies young, and now our dog is named Marty McFly.

Posted by: caleal at June 7, 2013 7:43 AM

Growing up I remember watching Superman and Star Wars a lot (3 older brothers) and my husband watched Goonies about a gazillion times as a kid. Princess Bride is a great one too. Karate Kid?

Posted by: B at June 7, 2013 9:05 AM

Back to the Future would be great - I should get that one for my kids! I just introduced my oldest to the Pirates of the Carribean. She loved that one...

Posted by: Kim K at June 7, 2013 9:45 AM

How fun for both Mia and Owen! I love it!

I was also going to say Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Goonies, Gremlins, Adventures in Babysitting, Karate Kid, Flight of the Navigator (man, my boys LOVED that movie), Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Home Alone . . .

Have fun!

Posted by: Mindy at June 7, 2013 12:19 PM

Wide Awake. Cute, schmaltzy, about kids but not really for kids. In case youve never heard of it its M. Nights first, about a boy in fourth grade who tries to find god to make sure God's taking care of his grandpop. Or you could just go ET.

Posted by: That Girl at June 7, 2013 6:29 PM