July 12, 2013

The Weeklies #260

The Weekly Request. Wish me luck. Don't ask me why.

The Weekly Beer. Flying Fish Extra IPA.

The Weekly Obvious Comment That I Feel The Need To Say Anyway. Justin Bieber is a douchebag.

The Weekly Music. Old school metal fan? There are two new Queensryche albums out, one with the original lead singer (Geoff Tate) and some studio musicians and the other with the original band and a new vocalist. Which is better? By far the album with the original band and new lead singer. Look, I don't know how to say this but Geoff Tate is an asshat who has no new musical ideas and can't quite sing all that well anymore (the four bonus tracks of re-recorded Queensryche hits like Silent Lucidity - on which Geoff can't hit a note - are evidence enough) who went on a tirade last year and alienated his fans and his old band. Zero tolerance for asshats. New band wins. 'Nuff said.

The Weekly Read. The Thief by Fuminori Nakamura was a terrifically boring book. It had promise but that promise died after the first ten pages. It's not that the story was bad. Instead, it was so sparsely written and cold that it was hard to sympathize with or get emotionally involved in. Take a pass.

The Weekly Question. What's the Zimmerman verdict going to be?

Posted by Chris at July 12, 2013 7:15 AM
Comments

I can't agree enough with the Queensryche comment. I have been playing the hell out of the Toddryche album. Now if the will just swing their tour through this area...

Posted by: COD at July 12, 2013 8:30 AM

hmmm, will have to check out the new Queensryche album (with new singer). Empire was my introduction to the band and I loved that album. Operation:Mindcrime was a close second.

Oh, and Good Luck!

Posted by: cyndy at July 12, 2013 8:58 AM

Haven't thought about Queensryche in AGES but suddenly there I am, in the auditorium, lights out, lighter up, black skirt short and frosted hair long, waiting for the roar of the jet plane. Thanks for that! Will check out the new, douche-free Queensryche. And BTW- Zimmerman'll get convicted of the lesser manslaughter charge.

Posted by: rebecca at July 12, 2013 11:34 AM

I am hoping that he's convicted of manslaughter at the very least. This case has been one major disaster after another.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at July 12, 2013 1:06 PM

Zimmerman convicted of manslaughter. The judge gave everyone a way out especially the jury.

Never was a heavy metal fan but I may need to dip my musical ear into that cauldron. You've steered me right on a number of great books. Is 63 to late to be a headbanger?
Mullet would be tough with my balded head. Hope things go well for you.

Posted by: Bill at July 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Zimmerman will walk. Which is a cryin' shame. He killed that kid. What part of "stay in the car, sir, police are on their way?" did the self-appointed and only member of the Neighborhood Watch not understand? Douchebag vigilante murderer, that one. But the cops botched the crime scene, the arrest, the investigation, and the attorneys (ALL of them) botched the trial.

Ahem. Sorry.

Was never a Queensryche fan - except for Silent Lucidity. I always hated his voice - so may have to check out a decent singer singing it.

I'm into Wasatch Brewery White Ale. If you can find it? Check it out. Very refreshing.

Posted by: Mindy at July 12, 2013 4:20 PM

You always recommend books to me so I am going to recommend one to you - Mr. Pnumbra's 24-hour bookstore is really a great book. Like most great books, it's impossible to tell you everything it is about but just a few things - cutting edge technology, secret reading cults, google, friendship, and a 21st century Quest for the Holy Something. Although Im sure you have a reading queue a mile long.

As for luck, may the wind always be at your back and all the luck in the world in front of you for your private wish.

Posted by: That Girl at July 13, 2013 8:56 PM