August 1, 2013

Ten

So, this is ten.

Ten years ago, I bought server space, installed some content management software and started writing for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I was convinced that it'd last a week.
It didn't.

A year or so ago I started thinking about hanging it all up, stepping back, and not publishing everything that was going on in my head. I reconsidered, figuring it would be a shame to walk away before I'd hit the ten year mark.

Writing everyday is tough. I don't always have anything interesting to say. Sometimes it feels like I'm writing out of obligation, just because it's what I do or hate to deviate from. On occasion, it feels like a chore. But then I take the time to look back at some of the stuff I've written and marvel at this incredible document I've created over ten years of life - and the lives of Beth, Mia and Owen - and feel inspired to keep writing for another ten.

Will I keep going? Pretty sure. But I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

To those of you who read - now, at any time in the past, and any time in the future - thank you. I'll be honest; if I wanted to keep my thoughts to myself without any interaction, I'd keep a journal in my nightstand. That's not what blogging is about and anyone who tells you different is lying. Blogging is about sharing parts and pieces of your life with the world. It doesn't matter why - acceptance, approval, interaction, debate or validation. Just that you share. So many of you have shared so much with me over the last ten years and I thank you immensely. You've let me into your worlds through your laptops, tablets, and phones and it's impacted me in ways I never thought possible.

Thank you. Now, let's turn it up to eleven.

Posted by Chris at August 1, 2013 7:16 AM
Comments

Happy 10! I discovered you when Beth was writing for ClubMom. Ever since then, your posts have been a wonderful addition to my morning coffee break. Keep it up...coffee just wouldn't taste the same without your words!

Posted by: Kris H. at August 1, 2013 8:19 AM

Happy Blogiversary? ;-) I hope you do continue, I love reading!

Posted by: cyndy at August 1, 2013 8:52 AM

Happy 10 years! I have followed you since about 2004ish and not to long afterwards, I started my blog. Looking forward to many more of your funny and thought provoking stories. Cheers!

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at August 1, 2013 8:58 AM

Happy 10th! <3

Posted by: Jenny at August 1, 2013 9:09 AM

no...Thank YOU! I so enjoy your posts and I appreciate the time and effort you put forth to entertain us.

Posted by: bacioni at August 1, 2013 9:45 AM

Hi, although I have never commented, I've enjoyed your blog for three years. Started with Beth and miss her. Thank you for sharing and so happy you are going to continue!

Posted by: Lanette at August 1, 2013 10:01 AM

Congrats Chris! I've been reading for somewhere around eight years now and have truly enjoyed it. Thanks!

Posted by: Heather at August 1, 2013 10:07 AM

Happy 10 years!!!

Posted by: Niki at August 1, 2013 10:17 AM

You got me thinking... when did I start reading your blog? It was before Mia was born and I'm guessing it was in 2004 or 2005. I've "known" you and the Cactus-Fish family longer than I've known some of my IRL friends. Crazy!! Congrats on the 10 year anniversary!

Posted by: Erin at August 1, 2013 10:21 AM

Ten years! Thanks for all the sharing. <3

Posted by: LeeAnn at August 1, 2013 10:36 AM

Happy 10 Years! It's amazing to think about how much your life -- and mine too -- has changed since I started reading, not quite ten years ago.

By all means, let's turn it up to eleven :)

Posted by: Hillary at August 1, 2013 11:15 AM

I'm on year 12, however I stopped caring about quantity a while ago. Most would probably assume I never cared about quality :) I barely average a post a week these days. And I'm fine with that.

I think I've been here about 5 years? Congrats and keep it up!

Posted by: COD at August 1, 2013 11:21 AM

Happy Blogiversary, Chris!

Posted by: Fraulein N at August 1, 2013 12:29 PM

Happy 10th blogiversary, Chris. Nice to cyber-know you. :)

Posted by: Martin at August 1, 2013 12:45 PM

I don't often comment, but I read your blog everyday, and as others have said, it is part of my morning coffee break. I also started with Beth and miss her, but your pretty okay too. ;-) Seriously though, I really do enjoy you and hope you continue. Happy 10th!

Posted by: Fabs at August 1, 2013 1:35 PM

Ten years of haikus
Urinals, swim meets, and laughs
Each post is a treat

Posted by: Demery at August 1, 2013 1:53 PM

Happy Blogiversary!! I've been reading since the beginning! I will read another 50 if you keep writing!!

Posted by: Kristin at August 1, 2013 3:57 PM

Congrats!

Posted by: James Proffitt at August 1, 2013 9:38 PM

Happy Blogiversary, Mr. Cactus! 10 years well spent.

Posted by: Annie at August 1, 2013 11:06 PM

Happy 10th!

I started with you, probably in 2003-4, way back when I had my own blog. I used to read 30 a day, now it's just you and another. Quality will tell.

Rock on!

Posted by: That Girl at August 2, 2013 4:15 PM

God, I haven't been here in a while... but I thought about you this morning and then here I am, reading it has been 10 years, and I was here almost from the beginning. Chris, you are a very talented writer. I would hate to see you stop, but slowing down, not posting every day, make a schedule to post Monday, Wednesday, Friday (hell the paper in my town only publishes three days a week now) might be the answer. Store up on weeks you have a lot to say for weeks when you don't. I would hate to see you go.

All that said, you have been a part of my life for a really long time, I can see I need to catch up a bit, but I remember the bathroom story you posted below and damn if it doesn't make me smile. You are one of my favorite people I have never met even when we worked less than a mile from each other. Much love to you and the family.

Posted by: Anastasia at August 4, 2013 10:16 AM

Happy 10th dude! I think I've been reaqding since 2004....I don't comment as much as I used to but I stop by almost every day! Whether it's music or books, something funny or thought-provoking, I always enjoy time spent here - thank you!

Posted by: Sue R at August 5, 2013 9:31 AM

I've been out of town and am just catching up on all of my blogs. I'm so happy we're headed to 11. Thanks for sharing the past 10 with us. :o)

Posted by: Emily at August 5, 2013 12:27 PM

Chris, happy blogiversary!! I've been reading here a long time, since Mia was tiny. I don't comment much anymore (sorry), but love your posts. Can't wait to keep reading for years to come!

Posted by: Dianna at August 5, 2013 5:39 PM

I'm a little late in wishing you a happy blogiversary, but I couldn't let it go without saying something! So Happy 10 year Blogiversary!! Your blog is one of the few I still read regularly, so I'm glad you're still around. :) I've read several books based on your recommendations, so thanks for that. Keep on keeping on, at least until you decide otherwise. :D

Posted by: Manda at August 6, 2013 5:28 PM