September 9, 2013

About The Job...

I was cliffhangery on Friday. Apologies. But, yes, I quit my job. I didn't quit in the absence of something else to do with the hours between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. That would be silly.

The Wingwalker's Rule: Don't let go of one wing until you have a firm grasp on the other.

This whole new job thing is a little strange for me. After all, it's been 12 years since I've found myself in this position. Twelve years since I had to interview and sound like I knew what I was talking about. Twelve years since I had to worry about potential rejection. But as I went through this process - unconvinced until the final stretch - I started to realize that I needed a change. Fundamentally, incredibly. Yes, I worked very hard over the last 12 years to carve out a career and by all accounts I was very successful. And, sure, while there were things about the job that I'd grow to dislike, it wasn't killing me. But I burned out a little and didn't like the way that felt. In doing this new thing, I think I'll be able to focus a little more strongly on the things that interest me while working on something I started eight years ago. You don't pass up opportunities like that.

I'm not going into specifics but I can tell you what I'm not doing:

- I'm not selling anything, buying anything, or processing anything as a career. I'm not selling anything bought or processed, or buying anything sold or processed, or processing anything sold, bought, or processed, or repairing anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.*

- I'm not doing anything that involves a uniform or a badge.

- I will in no way be responsible for children during normal business hours.

- I have not resorted to a career in which theater five is down the hall on your left is the most oft-used phrase.

- I will gladly take your money and a tip but not for any vehicular services rendered as there are none I am professionally licensed to carry out.

- I have always been ill-equipped to handle money; banking is out.

- I will not be going into politics. While I pretend to be immune from conventional wisdom, I'm actually too thin-skinned. Plus, though I think I'm a decent communicator, I'd likely end up telling a rival to go fuck themselves.

- I'm a vegetarian. Flipping burgers isn't for me.

- Despite my fondest desires, I will not be headlining Reading, Glastonbury, Lollapalooza, or even Donnington. Sadly, I don't think I'm cut out to be a rock star. Though it would be cool to try.

So that's what's up. Major life change and all that. Stress? Hell yes. A good opportunity not to be passed up? Absolutely.

* If you do not get this reference, I do not want to hear about it

Posted by Chris at September 9, 2013 7:11 AM | TrackBack
Comments

Best of luck in the new job! Hope this diesn't mean teh end of the bathroom chronicles!

Posted by: Lisa at September 9, 2013 8:27 AM

If they don't get that reference they want to rethink the complete and total waste of time that their life has been.

Congrats on the the new gig. I think I've had 5 jobs in the last 12 years. But then that is because I do sell stuff, and sales is horribly unstable as a career.

Posted by: COD at September 9, 2013 8:52 AM

"- I will not be adding or removing clothing regularly during the performance of my duties."

I read this as either:
1) stripper (or reverse stripper)
2) department store employee
3) new star of "Mannequin 3: The Return of Cactus"

Congrats on the new job (though I was really hoping that #3 was correct).

Posted by: J at September 9, 2013 9:40 AM

Ah. Very nice. Congrats!

Posted by: James Proffitt at September 9, 2013 12:27 PM

Well congrats on the new gig! It's always nice to be able to know you need a change before you begin to hate going to work every day.

Posted by: Sue R at September 9, 2013 12:55 PM

Congratulations on the new job!! So glad you saw the need to escape and were able to find a job to escape to. Sometimes people just escape and then hope something comes along. I assumed you were more responsible than that with Beth, Mia, and Owen to provide for.

Posted by: Kristin at September 9, 2013 2:15 PM

Congrats, Lloyd Dobler, congrats!

Posted by: rebecca at September 9, 2013 3:58 PM

Congratulations! And all the best in this new endeavor/path/career.

Posted by: Alison at September 9, 2013 10:29 PM

Love that movie and that quote!

Congratulations on the new job.

Posted by: Liz at September 10, 2013 10:01 AM

Nice job Lloyd...

Posted by: Kim K at September 10, 2013 1:35 PM

Okay, I confess to be one of the people who doesn't read your blog (or any blog) on the regular anymore. I suck, I know. But I wanted to congratulate you on taking a step when you realized you needed to. That's one of the toughest things in the world, knowing you need a change and then taking the steps to make the change. I'm in a similar situation right now. I'm very, very burned out, professionally and personally, and I'm having to make some similar decisions. It is NOT fun. <3

Posted by: Rhonda at September 11, 2013 11:38 AM

Ha! I got that reference in the first sentence. I may have to bust out that DVD! Sorry I haven't been keeping up on your blog. Since I left my job to move to SF, I haven't been reading any blogs. My friend texted me yesterday for an update on Apple's announcement, which I used to watch religiously, and I had to scramble to the internet for info. I have so little time for the internet since I quit my job! ;-)

Best wishes in your new endeavor!

Posted by: Brooke at September 11, 2013 12:09 PM

See, since Google Reader bit the dust, I hardly read blogs at all, because I am teh lazy, and then I had to come because your facebook was all, quitting? Whaaa? :P
Congrats on your exciting change and all that jazz :)

Posted by: Heather at September 11, 2013 12:17 PM

Gah...I totally know I know the reference but can't place it right now! Wait...wait....no, forget it. This will keep me up all night. But anyway, congrats!!!! When I took the leap 2 years ago it was the best decision I could've made and I never looked back.

Posted by: Laura at September 13, 2013 10:28 PM