October 3, 2013

Ridiculousness

This week has been - and continues to be - ridiculous, politically speaking. And I feel like we went over some precipice at 12:00 on Tuesday morning, a point at which ego overcame the job of governing.

A government shutdown sounds ominous but the reality is a little different. Planes stay in the air, borders remain patrolled and as far as I can tell the NSA is still reading my blog and Facebook posts. It's not the end of the world. It's inconvenient. Living in and around DC, though, gives you a bit of a different perspective. What you realize very quickly is that the government shutdown hurts individuals, families and businesses that depend on the government.

Simply, the people this hurts most are the ones who've decided to provide their talent and skills to the government itself. And that's a shame.

What do you think? What's the problem, what's the solution, and when does that solution happen?

Posted by Chris at October 3, 2013 7:16 AM | TrackBack
Comments

Somebody is still working because traffic on 95 still sucks. Congresses primary job is to produce the budget. Failure to do that should deem all 635 of them ineligible to ever serve in Federal elected again.

Posted by: COD at October 3, 2013 9:35 AM

I'm hating this shutdown. Have to cancel a trip to Zion national park, friends who live and work outside national parks are broke, family that works for the government are going unpaid, kids on free lunches at my schools are only good through October, our local air focre base library closed which impacts my job pretty directly. The shutdown trickle down is pissing me off in a thousand different ways this morning. Stop paying congress. Today. And make them sit through a few classes on how budgets are crafted and why continuing resolutions as a way to pick and choose who and how to fund are a bad idea and just kick the problem to the curb for the next guy. I don't love Obamacare but I did vote for the guy and Obamacare DID pass congress. We have to respect that process, reopen government and get back to work instead of whining. I think a certain party wants to kill the economy outright and that is intolerable. Whew. Thanks for letting me rant!

Posted by: rebecca at October 3, 2013 11:44 AM

I hope your new place of employment has this belief... http://cheezburger.com/7829653248 Enjoy!

Posted by: punkinnoodle at October 3, 2013 3:12 PM

I will simply say that my inability to stomach politics is only outdone by my fear that there will be violence soon. Not huge, but perhaps something that will change this country dramatically. We are the Roman Empire. We need to lay off the vomitoriums and continue with progress.

Posted by: alektra at October 3, 2013 3:56 PM

I live in Las Vegas. This is hurting me. This is hurting my friends. This is KILLING my department at work, as I work in intellectual property and the copyright, trademark and patent offices are closed.

The problem is old men with huge egos and too much power. The solution is to have a kindergarten teacher go in with all of them. First hour they discuss what is going on. Then they nap for an hour. Then they have recess/snacks for an hour. And then they all get their butts down in a circle on the floor and they stay there until they come up with the resolution - which should be relatively simple. We need to pass a budget and raise the debt ceiling or our country faces financial ruin. Financial analysts say the financial ruin will make the Great Depression look like a slim year. That is the important part, and that is what has to be done.

Any elementary teacher would really work, I suspect. However, kindergarten and first grade teachers, especially, are specially trained in dealing with socially immature creatures who are prone to tantrums, outbursts, and need frequent reminders to speak with kindness, be helpful, and to calm down. I think they are the very best suited for this particular task. We may want a Catholic Sister, who can wrap them across the hand with a ruler if they get too out of hand.

This is embarrassing, shameful and downright ridiculous.

Posted by: Mindy Lee at October 4, 2013 1:58 PM