October 11, 2013

The Weeklies #268

The Weekly Number. 14

The Weekly Sign of Political Incompetence. The Shutdowning Week Two.

The Weekly Music. Multi-instrumentalist, singer and composed Devin Townsend is a mad man, a brilliant twisted genius I'd heard of for a long time but never actually heard. Curiosity got the best of me a few weeks back and I picked up his albums Addicted and Epicloud without having any idea what I was getting myself into. From the first notes of each I was wowed by their heaviness but once I got past that it was amazing to hear the complexity and craftsmanship of the music. Think of Nine Inch Nails crossed with Queen and Radiohead and while you're doing that, throw in a killer female vocalist and a gospel choir for good measure. That's Devin Townshend. Sound weird? It is. But also very, very excellent.

The Weekly Awesomeness In The Face Of Stupidity. Earlier this week, Chris Cox of South Carolina decided that despite the political standoff and government shutdown, something needed to be done about the Lincoln Memorial, especially the landscaping. So he bought a lawnmower and a leaf blower and took it upon himself to mow the grounds surrounding the memorial. Why? “I figured out that I could play a . . . valuable role as a janitor, if you will. So I started cleaning up the overflowing trash cans. I bought a blower and I’ve been blowing all of the trails, and today I cut the grass out here. I didn’t find it a nuisance to be here, I found it my duty to be here.”

The Weekly Read. Remember last week when I mentioned reading Robert Crais' The Monkey's Raincoat? I liked the first in the Elvis Cole series so much that I dove into another, Stalking The Angel. It was, perhaps, even better than Crais' debut. This is a highly entertaining series that's funny while still not pulling any punches.

The Weekly Question From Mia. Did you like third grade?

Posted by Chris at October 11, 2013 7:48 AM | TrackBack
Comments

I did like 3rd grade. That's when I was finally old enough to join the Cub Scouts, we started to study some serious science stuff in school, and I taught myself to write cursive. Since I'm left-handed, the right-handed nun teaching our class had trouble teaching me how to hold the pencil correctly, so I had to find my own method (plus, I think she secretly thought my left-handedness was a sign of the devil, though she'd never say it. :) )

Posted by: j at October 11, 2013 8:44 AM

So the next Republican budget will cut all funds for park maintenance under the theory that volunteers will pick up the slack.

Posted by: COD at October 11, 2013 9:19 AM

I Loved 3rd grade! My teacher was awesome and we got to learn about all different cultures. We even went on an evening field trip to Little Japan for dinner.

Posted by: badioni at October 11, 2013 11:02 AM

I hated third grade. Mrs. Hume was my teacher and she was not impressed by my smart self, as previous teachers had been. She was less than pleased by my poor handwriting and less than pleased by my introverted behavior. First year I remember thinking that teachers could be people I did not like. Maybe 3rd grade was alright, in hindsight, but Mrs. Hume really stunk.

Posted by: rebecca at October 11, 2013 12:15 PM

I don't remember third grade.

I loved that guy taking care of the Lincoln Memorial, but this should embarrass the hell out of everyone. Congress is getting paid, but everyone else is suffering.

The historic Cliff House Restaurant in San Francisco is closed because of the government shut-down. They defied orders and were temporarily open.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 11, 2013 6:01 PM

I did not like third grade very much. My teacher, Ms. Delaney was the same teacher my brother had before me. He is super smart and I am just average, so I think she was a bit disappointed (this happened a couple of other times - darn brother! LOL) But really, the worst part was we did a "play" all about New York and I wanted to be a Rockette so badly, but of course my teacher picked all of the popular girls. It was tough but I got through it! Good luck this year, Mia!

Posted by: Tess at October 14, 2013 7:19 AM

I loved third grade (and school in general). I loved being able to do this extra credit stuff called "SRA," which were extra "labs" or exercises that we could do to sharpen our reading skills. My teacher was phenomenal too! She provided us with penpals from New York; we live in the South. I eventually met my penpal, who happened to be my teacher's niece. Overall, third grade was awesome. I also got braces on my teeth that year and loved those too! :-)

Posted by: RzDrms at October 14, 2013 10:39 AM

Third grade was fun. I got to do lots of stuff, and our music teacher was really neat. We learned about diabetes because she was pregnant and had it, so she had to tell her classes in case she got sick so we would get her help. I think we all felt really good because she trusted us.

Also, I liked long division. But I rushed through contractions one time and wrote "willn't" and didn't get 100%. I'm still mad about that.

Posted by: alektra at October 14, 2013 2:23 PM

I don't remember third grade that well but I can tell you Michael is not a fan.

Posted by: jodifur at October 15, 2013 7:56 AM